--- Original message ---
From: "Alex Fink" < [log in to unmask] >
Date: 29 May 2014, 16:37:49

For what it's worth my own opinion on PIE /h_1 h_2 h_3/ is that they were [h X R].  Phonotactics and IIRC the Uralic borrowing evidence suggests that there probably wasn't a stop among them; /h_3/ wasn't relevantly rounded since the rounded obstruents that survive didn't cause /o/-colouring; and I'm partial to suggestions that the shape of the system of surviving dorsal stops results from earlier uvular stops, whereupon Ockham suggests sticking to uvulars rather than pharyngeals for these guys too.

Rusiok