Hi Joe,

Hugh Cayless has just done some great work rewriting the XPointer
section of the guidelines. You can see the current draft here:

<http://teijenkins.hcmc.uvic.ca/job/TEIP5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/SA.html#SATS>

It's not finalized yet, but it will probably be in the next release, and
it's a substantial improvement over what is in the current version.

Cheers,
Martin