Hi Georg

<g> and <c> are really animals of very different kinds!

tei:c is as you say a "linguistical entity" -- it represents an
interpretation of the content. Like tei:pc and tei:w and others defined
in the analysis module, its purpose is to delimit strings of unicode
characters which the encoder wishes to consider/analyse as segments of
some kind

tei:g however is not markup at the same conceptual level: it is the way
we get around the fact that tei users often want to mark up non-Unicode
glyphs or characters. It should not itself contain anything other than
Unicode characters -- and may be empty.  This is because it is really
just standing-in for a Unicode character which doesn't actually exist yet.

does that help?