Am 25.06.2014 20:01, schrieb Lou Burnard:
> On 25/06/14 14:07, Frederik Elwert wrote:
>> Now the time of the regency is not always known for sure. From the
>> discussion about recording the precision of date ranges, I remember that
>> <precision> is a good solution to record this. So we’d like to record
>> this like:
>>
>>   <person xml:id="djoser">
>>    <state type="reign" from="-2592" to="-2566">
>>      <precision match="@from" atLeast="-2592" atMost="-2567"/>
>>      <precision match="@to" atLeast="-2566" atMost="-2541"/>
>>    </state>
>>   </person>
>
> wouldn't it be simpler (certainly easier to process) to use the
> @notBefore and @notAfter attributes?
>
> state type="reign" notBefore="-2592" notAfter="-2541">

From what I learned, notBefore and notAfter rather define a range within
which a single date might have been. But using this, it would not be
possible to express the uncertainty regarding both, the start and the
end date of a range.

> or, if you care about the spans
>
> <event type="reignStart" notBefore="-2592" notAfter="-2567">
>
> <event type="reignEnd" notBefore="-2566" notAfter="-2541">

This would be possible (although I think I’d enclose them in another
<event>), but I think it’s not really easier to process and seems to be
semantically less clear (since @from and @to as well as <precision> have
clear semantics, while "reignStart" and "reignEnd" don’t).

I was referring to the discussion following
<https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=tei-l;fc2bf4f.1307>
and the related ticket <http://sourceforge.net/p/tei/bugs/585/>. The
ticket was closed as fixed, but I think it only dealt with the inclusion
of att.ranging into <precision>. I guess it was overlooked that the
proposed construct in the ticket is still not allowed, because <state>
cannot contain <precision>.

Regards,
Frederik

--
Frederik Elwert M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Projektkoordinator SeNeReKo
Centrum für Religionswissenschaftliche Studien
Ruhr-Universität Bochum

Universitätsstr. 150
D-44780 Bochum

Raum FNO 01/180