(awkwardly, on airport wifi)

We do not worry too much about the physical manifestation
of a paragraph, which we regard as a nominal (or, if you like,
a semantic) unit. I.e. in such cases as those described, we
simply capture the salutations as salute and defer the beginning
of the paragraph (and likewise teminate the concluding paragraph
'prematurely' in order to allow for closers, etc.).  This is by no
means a situation specific to handwritten communications -- printed
correspondence has it in abundance, especially the standard format
of official documents

James by the grace of God King of England etc. defendr of
the faith etc. to all the Sheriffs of his realm greetings. It has
come to our attention that you're not doing your job.

Which we would tag by starting the <p> with "IT has..."
put the rest in <opener>, subdividing it by placing "James ... faith,
etc."
in <signed> and "to all ... greetings" in <salute>. In the usual
Latin form of such documents, the <salute> usually actually ends
with the word 'salutem.'

(Others have mentioned the @style/rend/rendition options if
you wish to indicate the opener's embeddedness within the
following paragraph, but that is something that we rarely
trouble to do.)

A bit more problematic than these embedded salutes (etc.) for
us are 'resumptive' salues. E.g. in the middle of a letter, or
an oration, or whatever, the writer terminates one train of thought
and then begins, as it were, anew

Gentlemen, my dear friends, you have heard my thoughts. What
is your response?

If placed at the beginning of a division, "Gentlemen...friends" would
be thought a salutation. Placed resumptively in the middle of a
division, it is not possible to tag them that way. A fact that we
occasionally regret, but generally come to terms with.

(Boarding is starting! On the way to the TEI Council meeting)

pfs

--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
[log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/