Hi Thomas, hi list,

* Thomas A. Schmitz dixit [2014-06-27 11:58]:
> I hope this question isn't too basic: the text I'm currently working
> on (Lucian) has a traditional sectioning system which I need to adopt.
> Since I want to mark it up for lexical analysis and indexing, the
> cleanest method appears to be <div> elements. Numbered sections may
> appear as independent paragraphs, indented in modern editions, or the
> numbering may occur in mid-paragraph. I can control this with an @rend
> attribute.
>
> My problem is that modern editions also have indented "logical"
> paragraphs (i.e. the editor wants to mark a logical division), which
> may overlap these numbered sections. They are thus unnecessary for
> purposes of analysis or indexing, but I still need to encode them. I
> looked at the documentation, and the best solution seemed to be an
> is quite what I'm looking for. What would you suggest for this case?

We have a similar problem, I think. (Some of) our texts have explicit
structural sections, typographical sections and logical sections that
happen to begin sometimes in the middle of a sentence. After some
discussions, we have settled for a mixture of <div>, <p> and
<milestone/> elements like below.

Example scans:
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~svsal/images/W0013/W0013-0019.jpg
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~svsal/images/W0013/W0013-0020.jpg

(the asterisk on the next-to-last line of the first scan indicates the
beginning of a logical argument-section (which is referenced in the
"SUMMA." list at the beginning of the quaestio), beginning in the middle
of a typographical paragraph, which is one of several such paragraphs in
the structural section marked by heading/lettrine initials etc.)

For these pages, our markup would look something like this (I have
purged unnecessary stuff):

  <head>QUAESTIO PRIMA.
        An in Ecclesia sit aliqua dignitas, vel authoritas ecclesiastica, praeter potestatem civile.</head>
  <list>[SNIP]</list>
     Potestatis intelligatur, declarare. Neq; <milestone unit="article" n="1" xml:id="Vol01Lect01Q01Art01"/> enim
     omnino idem videtur esse potestas, quod potetia.
<pb facs="facs:W0013-0020" n="17" xml:id="facs_W0013-0020"/>
     Nec materiam siquidem, neq; sensus, imò nec intellectum, aut volutatem potestates, sed
     potentias vocamus. Cotrà <milestone unit="article" n="2" xml:id="Vol01Lect01Q01Art02"/> autem magistratus,
     sacerdotia, et omnino imperia potestates
[SNIP]

So far, we are just almost through with our conceptual work defining our
markup and do not yet have much practical experience with this approach,
but perhaps you find it useful...

Cheers,

Andreas

--