2014-06-06 17:49, Chuck Haberl skrev:
>> >Chuck, the editor in me thinks something has gone missing in the
>> >description of the formation of the passive participle in the second
>> >paragraph of the second column of page 3, an "is formed with š" or somesuch.

> You have a very keen eye.

Thanks. Occupational habit, really! I can tell you it's not
always that keen, having done editing, proofreading and
translation on a daily basis for almost twenty years!

> The potential to generate words according to these principles
> is immense. Thus, the word for "season" is damlaf, which is an
> acronym of danān "spring," mazān "autumn," lār "summer," and
> fār "winter," and you can verb the acronym simply by adding the
> right suffixes to it, e.g. damalfan "to separate" (probably
> along the lines of Arabic faṣl "separation; division (of the
> year, i.e. season)."

And here I thought pronouncing acronyms as words was a modern
invention...

It looks like consonants have an inherent /a/ which gets realized
or not according to rule. You say in the article that this
doesn't apply in cliticization, but I still can't help wondering
whether the author of that phonology was familiar mith Modern Indo-
Aryan languages and their writing systems.

Do you know whether fatḥah is consistently written in the MSS?
It seems to be all over the place!

/bpj