9.6.2014 22:17, Ben Wood wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 19:14:38 +0300, Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Of course it is possible to prevent false friends in small scale if you
>> just bother to do it. When roots have two or more syllables the
>> probability of false friends decreases, anyway.
> Then that would rule out most of the common pronoun forms (mi, tu, du, lo, la, le, etc.) because these have false friends (which are also nouns) in Mandarin (which has 800 million speakers!).

Well, if you insist to make an argument on my behalf, I guess I have to
defend it... Not.

By the way, Mandarin has well over 800 million speakers. Your figure is
from the 1980s and the language situation has changed quite much in
China since then. Mandarin is more pervasive in the society these days.
I think that Mandarin was the fastest growing language in the world in
the past two decades. (I had to write something that's worth reading in
this message. ;) )

--Risto