I think of artlangs, auxlangs, and engelangs as the three different types of conlangs. There is overlap, of course. The main difference is the intention of the creator.
When I think of an artlang, it is a conlang for which the aesthetic components were the most important to the creator (Quenya or Na'vi). An auxlang is a conlang that the creator hopes will become useful as an IAL (Esperanto). Whereas eneglangs (Lojban or Ithkuil) are not primarily about the aesthetics, or worldwide propagation, but are engineered to achieve certain goals.
But this distinction is fuzzy. Aesthetics are important for auxlangs, too. And there is an "engineering" component in the design of the syntax of an artlang.
Mostly, though, people use the terms conlang/auxlang as you describe.
Jeffrey