> I was going to suggest that very thing, and language politics being what
> they are, people have often chosen one spelling over another just to
> differentiate themselves from neighbours: thus Spanish ll, ñ become Catalan
> l•l, ny and Portuguese lh, nh; whilst within Galician, which shares
> features of both Castilian and Portuguese, there are heated debates over
> the use of one or the other.

Just one correction here. Spanish <ll> (i.e. /ʎ/*) is also <ll> in Catalan.
The catalan <ŀl> stands for /l:/.

* It's still pronounced that way in (at least most dialects of) Catalan,
but without checking Wikipedia I don't actually know of any dialect of
Spanish not having merged /ʎ/ and /j/.

--
Yésináne gika asahukúka ha'u Kusikéla-Kísu yesahuwese witi nale lálu wíke
uhu tu tinitíhi lise tesahuwese. Lise yésináne, lina, ikéwiyéwa etinizáwa

http://njenfalgar.conlang.org/