On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Or maybe it could be stress-timed -- would that mean that the affected
> onsets might occur e.g. in every second syllable? That would be pretty
> interesting. (But I've always thought of the language as lacking phonemic
> accent at an early stage and developing pitch accent later, never going
> through stress accent.)

I was scanning the thread looking for something along these lines. General
American English has lenition of /t/ and /d/ in foot medial position (to
[ɾ]), which is pretty much the equivalent of "stress timed" in your
typology. I don't know if Finnic gradation can be recast in those terms,
but it might be worth looking into. And even if it can't, you certainly
could give it a try; I think the effect would be vaguely Finnic.

Dirk