On 18/06/2014 09:49, Siva Kalyan wrote:
> I remember doing this some years ago

Haven't many of us?

> with Younger (Scandinavian) Futhark (which remained in
> use for longer, and thus probably had a greater chance of
> being adapted as a book-hand).

Yep - true.  IIRC, however, I was more interested in the Old
English runes.

> Now if only I could remember what I came up with!

I know the feeling    :)

[snip]

> Your interpretation looks quite intriguing (but I guess
> you’ll have to try writing out some texts with it to see
> if it “works”; that would also give you ideas for
> simplifying letters).

Yes, I agree - using them in running texts is the thing.  It
will throw up, as you suggest, anything awkward and suggest
perhaps other modifications.  It was, ofter all, by actually
using script in continuous texts that changes happened to
the Roman and Greek alphabets.

> Apparently the idea of coming up with a “cursive runic”
> is not a new one;

No, indeed - I imagine many on this list have had this idea
at one time or another.  The difference is that John has
stuck to it and produced something   ;)

> there was a Swedish (I think) antiquarian named Johann
> Bure (or Johannes Bureus) who did this in the 19th (?)
> century.

He was indeed Swedish, but his dates were 1568–1652.

> I have never seen a sample of his work (information about
> him is disappointingly hard to find),

Yes - but was interested in esoteric use of runes and in
Rosicrucianism; so I guess what he was doing was not simply
producing a cursive script for ordinary writing.

> but I have read that he was inspired by Arabic
> calligraphy.

Ooh - do we have an example of "bogoscript", i.e. imposing
the letter shapes of one script upon an entirely unrelated
script?      ;)

But if he was inspired by Arabic calligraphy I wonder if,
given the guy's mystic tendencies, he was inspired by Sufism
and/or Muslim kaballah and their application to runes.

--
Ray