Alex: That's a good point. I hadn't really thought about it those terms. In the little bit of experimentation I did trying to write them, I found the "formal" required more planning and/or had to be written more slowly in order to make sure all the ascenders and descenders lined up accurately. I suppose that wouldn't really be an issue with the runic versions though, since carving is a much slower process to begin with.

My thinking was that the broken top and bottom bars of the informal script would over time get smaller and smaller, eventally becoming serifs, and then maybe disappearing completely in some scripts.