Pragmatically: neither you nor the LCS have the resources to fight a
legal case. So if a big company hiring you says they don't want you to
do X, don't, and assume that whatever the contract says is what goes.

Legally: what is or isn't assignable in the first place isn't
currently well defined. That's why we're asking lawyers about this.
;-)

If a right isn't assignable, then the part of any contract saying it's
assigned is void. This would apply if it's inalienable (i.e. a right
that you *can't* give away), or unprotectable (i.e. something you
don't have a monopoly right to sell in the first place).

- Sai