On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It seems to me that auxlangers believe that it is our generation who will
> adopt the auxlang. I don't think so. Currently I am the only one among my
> auxlangs or bothers to study new languages seriously in adulthood. If the
> auxlang is established during my lifetime, I don't think any of them will
> begin to learn it. There won't be sudden "gold rush" for the auxlang. My
> children, who are not yet in school, won't have a chance to learn the
> auxlang in school. The auxlang will come slow. It is not for our generation.

Tell me, though, are any of those children learning (or will be
learning) English in school?  If so, there's your counterargument: If
we don't do something to provide an alternative, English will become
the auxlang.

> That's why it is silly in my opinion to base decisions about the vocabulary
> of the auxlang on facts about what foreign languages the current generations
> learned in school. They are not the ones who will learn the auxlang, so
> their knowledge of foreign language X is inconsequential. However their home
> language is important, because that's the language that their children and
> grandchildren speak.

Again, how many Chinese children are learning English in school?  How
many of them are coming to the US for university?  The answer is in
the millions, or tens of millions.  How do you propose to compete with
that?

> So, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to create an auxlang that fits like
> a glove to the current situation. The perspective has to be longer and the
> view more stable.

You seem to have faith that the auxlang adoption will come via some
sort of gradual process, taking generations.  I dispute that for three
reasons, the first being the above argument that English will become
the auxlang if we don't come up with something better that the people
living today can use instead.  The second reason is that I see no
reason to believe that a long-term auxlang project will result in a
better language than what we can create right now using the technology
we already have.  The third reason is that if we *don't* have an
auxlang and a way to head off tribal/nationalistic/racial conflict,
the coming era of resource shortages puts our entire species at
considerable risk of, if not extinction, a rather severe pruning.  Are
you willing to risk that if adopting a more aggressive schedule could
prevent it?
  Regards,
    Scott