On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 12:36:37 -0700
Leo Moser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Leo remarks:
> I guess I can agree, in a general way, with much of what you say.
>
> Otto Jespersen believed that languages have improved over time, and typically by becoming more analytical.

It's part of the great cycle of languages.
Language initially started out as isolating analytic
"rock hit. rock kill. run! hide!" kinda stuff.
only through metaphors did grammar words emerge,
and then they eroded into affixes.

erosion continues and the affix gets lost,
and so another word becomes a dead metaphor grammar word.
thus continuing the cycle.

Anyways so analytical languages are how we began,
and it seems that the main world langs Chinese and English approach it again.

> I prefer systems that are quite regular, rather analytical, but which can use bits of the conjugational / synthetic / agglutinative / compounding formats that are so widely used.

compounding is fully a part of analytical languages.
so you can have a synthetic, fusional, agglutinative analytical language.
analytical simply means the grammar words are kept seperate from the roots.

for instance mkaw has compound words which are agglutinative seperating roots with -h-, makhkwaw word-language
it also has fusional new roots, which are made from a combination of other roots  mak+kwaw=mkaw .

> Analytical texts can also be made longer. A plural is Spanish simply adds an -s, in Esperanto a -j.

sure it's a trade off.  cwa (sound) cwamu (sounds).

> In an analytical language it must be a syllable, and following a space, like _men_ , or _plu_ , etc.

er just so you know spaces are optional in Mkaw. due to inheriting Lojban style roots and grammar words.
this would be the case in fluent speech of course, people don't typically pause between words.

> I do not agree with all of the following, but it is worth looking at:
> http://www.kafejo.com/lingvoj/auxlangs/eo/analytic.htm

it's easier to understand for me,
though the dashes aren't pronounceable, is why mkaw uses h's for compounds.

--
Logan Streondj <[log in to unmask]>