I tend to agree with Scott here, although I would not be as apocalyptic as he is in his last two sentences.
Leo
-----Original Message-----
From: International Auxiliary Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott Raney
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Source languages of Pandunia

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Risto Kupsala <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It seems to me that auxlangers believe that it is our generation who
> will adopt the auxlang. I don't think so. Currently I am the only one
> among my siblings, colleagues, former classmates and neighbours who
> cares about auxlangs or bothers to study new languages seriously in
> adulthood. If the auxlang is established during my lifetime, I don't
> think any of them will begin to learn it. There won't be sudden "gold
> rush" for the auxlang. My children, who are not yet in school, won't
> have a chance to learn the auxlang in school. The auxlang will come slow. It is not for our generation.

Tell me, though, are any of those children learning (or will be
learning) English in school?  If so, there's your counterargument: If we don't do something to provide an alternative, English will become the auxlang.

> That's why it is silly in my opinion to base decisions about the
> vocabulary of the auxlang on facts about what foreign languages the
> current generations learned in school. They are not the ones who will
> learn the auxlang, so their knowledge of foreign language X is
> inconsequential. However their home language is important, because
> that's the language that their children and grandchildren speak.

Again, how many Chinese children are learning English in school?  How many of them are coming to the US for university?  The answer is in the millions, or tens of millions.  How do you propose to compete with that?

> So, in my opinion, it doesn't make sense to create an auxlang that
> fits like a glove to the current situation. The perspective has to be
> longer and the view more stable.

You seem to have faith that the auxlang adoption will come via some sort of gradual process, taking generations.  I dispute that for three reasons, the first being the above argument that English will become the auxlang if we don't come up with something better that the people living today can use instead.  The second reason is that I see no reason to believe that a long-term auxlang project will result in a better language than what we can create right now using the technology we already have.  The third reason is that if we *don't* have an auxlang and a way to head off tribal/nationalistic/racial conflict, the coming era of resource shortages puts our entire species at considerable risk of, if not extinction, a rather severe pruning.  Are you willing to risk that if adopting a more aggressive schedule could prevent it?
  Regards,
    Scott