On 15/08/2014 14:35, Sam Stutter wrote:
[snip]

> The one I always remember is the Romanian car company
> Dacia which everyone pronounces as /‘deɪ.siː.ə/

Everyone?  When I met this word in grammar school 60 years
ago it was /'deɪ.ʃə/ and that's what I've been used to, at
least in classical circles, ever since.

> though is
> pronounced (presumably “correctly”) as /da.ʧja/ in the TV
> advert.

'Correctly' in the Romanian manner presumably    :)

> Couldn't they just mispronounce their company's
> name for the sake of us dim-witted anglophones?

Except, of course, not all anglophones say it the same way!

Yikes! Have I started a YAEPT?   ;)

--
Ray