On 30/08/2014 11:55, Pete Bleackley wrote:
> Well, to be fair, I didn't say "toss a coin" but "let
> the language decide",

I was not referring to you when I mention someone who said
"Toss a coin."  As it came IIRC in an off-list email, I
shall not give any names      ;)

I agree, "let the language decide."  So far it has, even to
the extent of calling me back if I seem to be forcing
something on it that it thinks not right    :)

But on this point it is being somewhat ambivalent (I think).

> ie make the decision on phonaesthetic grounds.

I suppose voiced fricatives are more phonaesthetic than
voiced plosive.  But you may not all agree  ;)

On 30/08/2014 12:22, Daniel Prohaska wrote:
> I agree, but one solution would be to treat secondary
> lenition as something that occurs dialectally, or even in
> the standard (or as a spreading dominant feature), with
> primary lenition-only retained in relic areas. then you
> can try out both developments...

Nice idea.  If I were doing this 50 years or even 25 years
ago, I would go off into dialectology.  If Britainese covers
(more or less) the same areas as English in our world, that
would give plenty of scope!

But I want to concentrate on the standard language.  I have
another idea in mind for the post-Britainese day   ;)

--
Ray