On 30/08/2014 12:56, Alex Fink wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:34:55 +0100, R A Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Just a short query for those interested    :)
>>
>> The last most recent paragraph on the Britainese
>> consonants page reads: {quote} In the Langues d'oïl,
>> Raeto-Romance and Gallo-Italic languages we find a
>> second lenition; this is restricted to the voiced
>> plosives that had developed from Latin voiceless
>> plosives between two vowels or a vowel and /r/. In
>> these languages the voiceless plosives became
>> voiceless fricative
>
> In which languages did voiceless plosives become
> voiceless fricatives?  Is the second "voiceless" an
> error for "voiced" there?

Yikes! *Both* instances of 'voiceless' should be _voiced_!
In the secondary lenition that some Romance languages
underwent, it was _voiced_ plosives that became _voiced_
fricatives.

[snip]

> I'd be tempted to the dialecticism solution, though I
> remember you've said you want to concentrate your
> efforts on standard Britainese.

Correct.

> (Does the standard remain the variety of the London area
> throughout, by the way, or does this change?)

I'm sure London would have remained the capital in any
plausible altworld. So it is bound to exert an influence
over the standard.  But there are probably other strands to
it just as there are *here*.

> One of the features you've stated you expect(?)
> Britainese to have is retention of [D].  If one of the
> features of the second lenition area is the loss of [D],
> even from Latin *t, then which [D] is it that would be
> retained?

I obviously didn't explain it very well.  [ð] will occur as
a result of lenition of Vulgar Latin intervocalic -d-; this
the primary lenition which affected all western Romance
languages.  The secondary lenition caused intervocalic /d/
resulting from lenition of -t- to become [ð], thus:

Languages with only one lenition:
-t- -> -d-
-d- -> -ð-

Languages with a secondary lenition:

Thus in the latter both Latin -t- and -d- finish up as [ð];
in the former they don't.

What an individual language does thereafter with [ð] is
another matter.

--
Ray