Agreed on all points, Ray.

There's also a dispute as to whether Ivrit is really a Semitic language like Ancient Hebrew, or some sort of relexified Yiddish. Personally, given the verbs I'd go for the former!

It will be interesting to see whether this new, unified revived Cornish will gain traction in the face of the onslaught from English; its my personal opinion that the AFAIK, so-far unique example of the revival of Hebrew was in no small part due to it happening in the sweet spot between the decline of French as an international language and the meteoric rise of English. Indeed, at one point whilst I was aware that Israel as a country had been "revived" I was under the impression that the native language of modern Israelis was English! A classic example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Jeff
Sent from my iPhone