On Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:34:55 +0100, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>Just a short query for those interested    :)
>
>The last most recent paragraph on the Britainese consonants
>page reads:
>{quote}
>In the Langues d'oïl, Raeto-Romance and Gallo-Italic
>languages we find a second lenition; this is restricted to
>the voiced plosives that had developed from Latin voiceless
>plosives between two vowels or a vowel and /r/. In these
>languages the voiceless plosives became voiceless fricative

In which languages did voiceless plosives become voiceless fricatives?  Is the second "voiceless" an error for "voiced" there?

>and, while [v] remained, [ð] fell silent and [ɣ] either
>vocalized, forming a diphthong with the preceding vowel, or
>simply disappeared.
>This secondary lenition is not found in Welsh or the other
>Brittonic languages; cf. Latin Aprile(m) "April" → Welsh
>Ebrill ~ French avril; Latin catēna(m) "chain" → Welsh
>cadwyn ~ French chaîne (← Old French chaeine ← *chaðeine).
>We cannot, therefore, consider it an areal feature.
>The question is rather whether Britainese would have
>continued the band which stretched from north Italy, through
>Raetia (eastern and central Switzerland, the Tirol and parts
>of modern Bavaria and Swabia) and across northern Gaul, in
>which we have secondary lenition, or would it have been more
>conservative like Occitan in southern Gaul?
>{unquote}

I'd be tempted to the dialecticism solution, though I remember you've said you want to concentrate your efforts on standard Britainese.  (Does the standard remain the variety of the London area throughout, by the way, or does this change?)

One of the features you've stated you expect(?) Britainese to have is retention of [D].  If one of the features of the second lenition area is the loss of [D], even from Latin *t, then which [D] is it that would be retained?

Alex