Actually, I do this about five days a week. I catalog foreign language books for my university library, and my job is to match them with the appropriate records in the OCLC catalog, an online database used by libraries around the world. Today I am mainly working with Japanese and Turkish books that have been donated. I don't speak either language, although I know a little bit of both. For older Japanese and Chinese books, I keep a file of frequently-used characters to help me approximate titles (due to budget constraints I don't have a scanner), and occasionally get to narrow down my choices by entering page numbers or publication years.

You all are about to convince me to ask for a raise.

Krista
From: Constructed Languages List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Gary Shannon [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: THEORY: Recognizing languages without really learning them

This would be easier, I think, if you only had to teach how to recognize
them in print. The foreign language section of one of my local used book
stores often has books filed in the wrong language, but it's easy to see
how a few simple rules would go a long way toward separating, say, Spanish
and Portuguese. If it looks like Spanish, but there's a "ã" anywhere in he
text, it's Portuguese.

It would probably be pretty easy to come up with a list of words or letter
sequences that are very common in one particular language but do not occur
in any other language. And of course, you could include "shapes" in that
list for Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Burmese, Arabic, etc.

Take a look at http://whatlanguageisthis.com/

--gary