I don't really use it a lot when texting, but via Jabber, I do like me some emojis. It is often so convenient to reply with just one character, say 💩 instead of with a sentence, say: "Was ist denn das für eine Kackscheiße‽". I would not be surprised if a new hieroglyphic developped. I am not sure how literate the average person is in regards to alphabetic scripts.