Perhaps, then, rather than “pragmatically unmarked” word order (which presumes that one pragmatic structure is unmarked relative to all others), it would be more fruitful to talk about “thetic word order” and “categorical word order” (and “predicate-focus word order”, etc. etc.).

I thought, though, that the usual understanding of “pragmatically-unmarked” is “topic-comment” (i.e. “categorical”, as opposed to thetic). And I suspect this is the most common pragmatic structure in discourse (since thetic structures are only appropriate when there’s no established topic, and the various focus structures require a specific kind of presupposition).

Siva

Sent with Mail Pilot