Evernote is good for this sort of thing. You put notes in “notebooks”, which can be organised into “collections”—but most of the sorting works by assigning tags.

Also, a while back they (finally) added the ability to have links between notes. What this means is that you can have a “table of contents” note which has links to other notes. In fact, you can have multiple “tables of contents” (or indices). It’s pretty much like having a wiki.

Another (Mac) program I’ve used is SlipBox, which is very similar except that it has a sidebar that shows you notes that share tags with the note you’re currently working on. It also has a number of extensions which, e.g., allow you to produce a graph showing interconnections among your notes.

Sorry to sound like a salesman; my defence is that both of these programs are free :)

Siva

Sent with Mail Pilot