Dear Kevin:

Without listing the number needed to treat and number needed to harm for
albuterol, racemic epi, and hypertonic saline, it is completely
irresponsible of the AAP subcommittee to state unequivocally that these
medications should NOT be used in the ED setting. That is not what the
evidence supports, and is not what clinical experience supports. This is
particularly true if one uses a broad definition of bronchiolitis up to 2
years of age.

Our ED Evidence Based Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG) lists 1) first
suctioning the upper airway, then 2)  a trial of one or two albuterols, or
one albuterol followed by one racemic epi in the Ed, then make a decision
about admission. This is safe and potentially effective.

I will not likely change my practice based on these new recommendations
since it would keep potentially beneficial treatments from children in the
ED, and is exceedingly unlikely to cause harm. If anything, I would like to
add a single trial of hypertonic saline to the protocol using the same
reasoning.

For those of us who have taken care of thousands of patients with
bronchiolitis over the past decades, it is not likely the AAP
recommendations will be followed. It would be much easier to swallow if the
recommendations were restricted to say children less than 4-6 months of age
where asthma is unlikely to be diagnosed.

Bob Flood
Cardinal Glennon
St. Louis, MO

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html