Il 07/10/2014 17:10, Martin Holmes ha scritto:
> HI Roberto,
>
> On 14-10-07 05:26 AM, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
>>
>> Thanks a lot, Martin. Assuming that I would like to make my edition
>> texts available on the web for other people to build upon them in a
>> "dynamic" way (i.e. you don't have to download them and use them in your
>> edition), which method would be best? or even acceptable, still trying
>> to gather information at this point in time.
>
> That's a good question -- what do you mean exactly by building upon them
> without downloading them? I would assume that if I wanted to do anything
> significant with your text other than render it or attach annotations to
> it (for example, run text analysis, add a new layer of markup, etc.), I
> would have to download it and edit or transform it.

Good point, but assume for a moment that you could/would use the text
"as is": if there were an infrastructure allowing that, you'd only need
to tap into that. Important side advantages:

- you wouldn't be forced to check your texts periodically and import any
changes if they've been modified upstream;

- having a stable home for texts would also help with regard to
citability, one of the weak points of the current set of digital editions.

>> Would the Canonical Text Services used by the Homer Multitext project
>> (http://cts3.sourceforge.net/) be the perfect answer to that?
>
> I don't know that project, I'm afraid, but now you've pointed me at it,
> I'm intrigued.

I'm glad that I did :)

All best,

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dipartimento di Studi           rosselli at ling.unipi.it
Umanistici                      Then spoke the thunder  DA
Universita' di Torino           Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)