Lou,

I must say that in all of my time working with the TEI's structure of
bibliographic description, including working on the Technical Council
from 2010 to 2013 on a close editing of various parts of the Guidelines
dealing with bibliographic description, I have never known the
Guidelines to claim that <biblStruct> is meant for a description of a
bibliographic work whereas <bibl> is meant for an instance of that work.
  There's even an example in section 3.11.1 that combines a <biblStruct>
and two <bibl>s in a single <listBibl>, and I don't see any indication
that this is a type/token or FRBR-like distinction.

Have I misunderstood you here?  If not, I think we need a SourceForge
ticket here to propose revisions to the Guidelines to clarify the
semantics of <biblStruct> and <bibl>.

Kevin