On Thu, 2014-10-30 at 07:47 +1300, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
> Personally I'd love to do (a), forget about HTML validity, but I'm not
> sure what level of browser support there is. Maybe a couple of sample
> cases could be run through http://netrenderer.com/ /
> http://browsershots.org/ and checked for serious issues ?

I advise against this. When you give a browser invalid HTML, you are
venturing into "undefined behavior" territory. If it works when you test
it *now*, it's just luck. If it works with version X of browser A,
there's no guarantee that it will work with X-1 or X+1. I've recently
run into an issue where JavaScript code that worked in Chrome 33 did not
work in Chrome 34. It was fixed for Chrome 35 **only because** there is
a standard and a defined behavior that people had been relying on and
this was promptly brought up in the bug report. In the case of bug
reports where the change in behavior does *not* run afoul of a standard,
good luck getting speedy resolution, or any resolution at all.

- Louis