On Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:24, Martin Mueller wrote:
> I need to have a look at more examples. Paul Schaffner probably has all
> the cases in his head. But my hunch, to be confirmed by trawling through
> sample of the TCP corpus, is that very few marginal notes have internal
> block-level components. So, if you come across a note that says that its
> place is in the margin but it has such components you think of it as a
> footnote  or endnote.

Many examples of 17th-century printing challenge the
very distinction between 'main text' and 'margin'.
The one I was editing this very minute, for example,
is far from exceptional:

http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/tcp/presbytery.jpg

But are things any different nowadays? Magazine and
web page layout, for example.

If you're looking for long, elaborate notes, the
18th century philosophical novel The Life of John
Buncle springs to mind. On this random page, for
instance:

http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/tcp/buncle_note.jpg,

you can see just two lines of 'main' text at the top
of the page; the rest of the page is occupied by
the conclusion of footnote 25 (which occupied most
of the preceding three pages); the beginning of
footnote 26; and an asterisk-flagged footnote
that nests within note 25. Notes in this book
routinely themselves have notes; routinely contain
poems, chunks of plays, multiple stanzas and
paragraphs, block quotations, etc. etc. But again,
this is not that unusual in modern printing either,
especially of the academic kind. (One of the
chief advantages of my old Nota Bene word processor
was that it supported three simultaneous *series*
of footnotes, all of which could display on the
same page; and I was not the only one who could
foresee a use for such a feature -- reflected in the TCP
texts through the use of values like @place="marg1"
@place="marg2".)

None of which helps Sebastian; if anything, the reverse.

Probably my favorite online note display is that
used by the CCEL, e.g.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf214.vii.iii.html

in which users may select (go to the little gear at top
right) to see notes displayed in
the margins, at the foot of the page, or (the default)
suppressed altogether till clicked on. If I remember rightly,
CCEL uses html:span for all the notes, and flattens markup
within them. But that may be wrong.

pfs
--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
[log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/