Dear all,

indeed, TEI has been accepted as one of two "official" formats of
digital copies of manuscript catalogues in Germany. The other one is the
internal format of the portal "Manuscripta Mediaevalia". [1]
Crosswalks between the two formats exist.

The University Library Heidelberg, which runs the project "Biblioteca
Palatina - digital" [2] is about to move from cataloguing in the OPAC
towards encoding in TEI.

Whether or to what extent the use of TEI will be considered in the BAV
itself I can't tell.

What exactly is the background of your question, George?

Best, Torsten

[1] http://www.manuscripta-mediaevalia.de
[2] http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/helios/digi/handschriften.html

--