Oh no! not frame sets!

It is a perfectly straightforward process to push your notes out into a html div, and the text into another html div, and then use the ‘float’ style attribute on the two divs so that your notes appear to the left, or right, or both, of the text they annotate. Simple css, indeed (google "floating div css” for lots of examples).  You can go further, and use javascript/jquery to identify exactly where the text referenced is in your browser window, and then place the annotation at the appropriate hight to the left or right.  And much more.

Peter