Hi Piotr,

I am not so sure that this is what I meant ….

Say a TEI document is processed by some terribly intricate XQuery or XSLT code. Most often, formatting instructions are hardcoded in the XQuery or XSLT code, but with TEI as it is now, every time the processor comes upon a <p> element, it could look up the desired <rendition> in <tagUsage> in the document's header and (assuming this uses CSS) inject the styling rule into the XQuery or XSLT code (perhaps overruling some default styling rules contained there) and render the <p> accordingly. If the XQuery or XSLT code is set up to take advantage of this, this would allow the TEI encoder to declaratively control how the document is to be rendered, without having to dig into the XQuery or XSLT code. This is the advantage of the present TEI setup that I wish to leverage. The problem I see is attributes: these often have consequences for formatting, but cannot be referenced in <tagUsage>, so my suggestion was to make this possible.

Of course, an element can have many attributes that are relevant for formatting, but if required, the <tagUsage> with a certain @gi could be repeated.

Thanks,

Jens