>I think the problem may be that those notes may themselves contain
> block-level structures that won't fit into HTML <span>.

In that case, it's either divs all the way down, spans all the way down, or an arbitrary point at which you move from divs to spans, and then check the ancestry in every template to see whether you've passed that point.

Rendering the notes at the end is simpler, though. You'd have to put an anchor in the text at the point you want the JavaScript to move them to, so you can retrieve the right offset. There's also the problem of notes and labels overlapping if the margin is not wide enough or the font size is too big.

Cheers,
Martin