For most of the typically very short and simple marginal notes in Early
Modern texts, display in the margin is a real benefit. Where you have
complex marginal notes--as for instance in Ben Jonson's Works--moving the
notes to the end may be the better solution, and displaying them as
marginal notes on a screen may be a nuisance. I think there are
algorithmic ways of cleanly dividing the cases.

Martin Mueller

Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University