Personally I'd love to do (a), forget about HTML validity, but I'm not
sure what level of browser support there is. Maybe a couple of sample
cases could be run through http://netrenderer.com/ /
http://browsershots.org/ and checked for serious issues ?

I'm also aware that increasingly ePub and other HTML-containing
TEI-output formats may be the inputs into third-party toolchains. It
may be more robust to have a semantically correct HTML output option
for such cases.

cheers
stuart