I agree: the demotion of marginalia (and the other things that
people call 'paratext' these days) is to be resisted if at all possible.

Perhaps it's time to revive html:frameset ! (one frame for text,
one for notes ...)  :)

pfs

--
Paul Schaffner  Digital Library Production Service
[log in to unmask] | http://www.umich.edu/~pfs/