Well, taking the initial question and putting the actual required @mode attribute, there is nothing much better to be done than what Jack suggests:
         <elementSpec module="dictionaries" ident="orth" mode="change">
            <equiv name="orthography" uri="http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-394"/>
         </elementSpec>
even name may be awkward to interpret automatically, although useful for a human.
The alternative would be to be able to describe a @scheme on <equiv> and have a @key with it (which indeed lead to a few thoughts concerning the possible use of att. canonical here)
Laurent

Le 30 oct. 2014 à 02:40, Piotr Bański <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :

> Hi Jack,
>
> Without knowing much about the context of your enterprise, what you
> suggest seems good to me as far as <equiv> is concerned, except I
> wouldn't probably mention equiv/@uri explicitly in your description
> (because it's an accident of serialization, invisible from <orth>),
> instead just saying that the element that you are modifying instantiates
> ISOCat concept #DC-394.
>
> However, you might want to have a closer look at Ch. 22, and the @mode
> attributes on <elementSpec>, and then at the definition of <orth>. In
> particular, it seems to me that you might want to try @mode="add" on the
> elementSpec, unless someone shouts...
>
> (As a side note on my reply to Martin: @uri gives modelers the needed
> freedom of reference that @datcat attributes restrict, being tied
> specifically to ISO DCR; @uri can point at any external
> taxonomy/ontology, which is gooood...).
>
> Best,
>
>  P.
>
> On 29/10/14 16:16, Jack Bowers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering if any linguistically oriented TEI people of with
>> knowledge of/experience with using ISOcat and ODD could tell me if I am
>> using the 'equiv' element correctly..
>>
>> Below is an example of my 'elementSpec' in the ODD, I am looking to
>> declare that the TEI element 'orth' is equivalent to the ISOcat value
>> 'orthography' and whose PID is the value in the @uri:
>>
>>    <elementSpecmodule="dictionaries"ident="orth">
>>     *<equivname="orthography"uri="http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-394"/>*
>>     <desc>The Mixtec working orthography is the orthographic system
>> adhered to in this corpus and it corresponds to that used in the
>> publications by SIL Mexico which are based on the recommendations
>> by <orgNamexml:lang="mix">Ve'e Tu'un Savi</orgName> (House of the Mixtec
>> language) for a unified orthographical system for all varieties of the
>> Mixtec language. The value of the attribute @<att>uri</att> is that
>> defined in the ISOcat registry and pertains to a non-language specific
>> orthographic system.</desc>
>>    </elementSpec>
>>

>> Any comments, advice would be much appreciated!
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Jack

Laurent Romary
INRIA