Well, taking the initial question and putting the actual required @mode attribute, there is nothing much better to be done than what Jack suggests:
         <elementSpec module="dictionaries" ident="orth" mode="change">

<equiv name="orthography" uri="http://www.isocat.org/datcat/DC-394"/>

</elementSpec>
even name may be awkward to interpret automatically, although useful for a human.
The alternative would be to be able to describe a @scheme on <equiv> and have a @key with it (which indeed lead to a few thoughts concerning the possible use of att. canonical here)
Laurent

Le 30 oct. 2014 à 02:40, Piotr Bański <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :

Hi Jack,

Without knowing much about the context of your enterprise, what you
suggest seems good to me as far as <equiv> is concerned, except I
wouldn't probably mention equiv/@uri explicitly in your description
(because it's an accident of serialization, invisible from <orth>),
instead just saying that the element that you are modifying instantiates
ISOCat concept #DC-394.

However, you might want to have a closer look at Ch. 22, and the @mode
attributes on <elementSpec>, and then at the definition of <orth>. In
particular, it seems to me that you might want to try @mode="add" on the
elementSpec, unless someone shouts...

(As a side note on my reply to Martin: @uri gives modelers the needed
freedom of reference that @datcat attributes restrict, being tied