My vote would be for (b) - to use <div> for pretty much everything, and to
deal with typographical issues in CSS.

I do sympathize with the desire to maximize the retention of TEI-encoded
semantics, but these days I am less inclined to believe there is any
significant payoff in doing so, and I think the additional complexity of
the stylesheets is a barrier to modular reuse and a prohibitive cognitive
burden for many people who might otherwise contribute to the stylesheets.