A recent study published in  JAMA Internal Medicine June 2014 Volume 174,
Number 6 page 991, "Medicine’s Uncomfortable Relationship With Math:
Calculating Positive Predictive Value"  highlighted practitioners lack of
knowledge when it comes to interpreting lab tests.  As a group we are very
ignorant on applying statistical reasoning to the results (ie sensitivity,
specificity and predictive values).  I think this might be partially
remedied if our hospital labs would supply this data about their test along
with the results.
-- My 2 cents

Eugene Izsak MD FAAP
31 years in the pit
Toledo, OHIO
*"I would rather be the kind of person who makes molehills out of
mountains, then mountains out of molehills." *
*"I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road and not have
their motives questioned." Anon.*
*"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures
the disease." Voltaire*
*"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be."  Douglas Adams*

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html