I recently learned that all of the plays of the Afro-Roman playwright
Terence are still extant because they were used by the medieval Church
to teach conversational Latin. So they were copied and written out a LOT
and everyone would have known them, for hundreds of years.

I don't know Latin or Latin literature well enough to guess details, but
I wonder how different Church Latin might have been if they had chosen a
different exemplar, and what the follow-on effects might have been.

And man, are there a lot of flavors of IRREALIS in that last sentence! :-)

--
Elyse Grasso