What I have in mind is that "simple" words will be one, two or three
syllables (e.g. "akaru"), while compound words will be formed by gluing
together simple words, or attaching affixes. Thus "garage" might derive
from "auto+barn", or "hammer" from "pounding+tool". That way a lot of
multi-syllable words will be created in time.

Where natlangs have longer words they are most often created by compounding
or affixing: "disambiguation" began life as the two syllables "ambi" also
found in "ambidextrous",  "ambitious", and "ambient".

Plus, there will be some single English words that translate into phrases.
Working on "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry I came across the word
"Maypole", which I ended up translating "pialu d'onise twane" where "pialu"
is "post", and "onise twane" is "spring" (literally "first green"). So two
syllables in English turned into 8 syllables in Ariabu.