I don't know if we can (in fact I know that we can't ^^) show one author
who should be the source of the medieval Latin. Terence? Yes, but he wasn't
the only example for students by far. Vulgate? Yes, but this version of the
Bible became "official" only at the XVIth century. The *Veteres Latinae*
was very often used until then. The Latin was often taught using a classic
grammarian (Donatus, a master of Jerome, the translator of the Vulgate),
who probably had a great influence too. And all the Latin or translated
fathers of church, from Antiquity or Middle Ages, all the classic authors
who survived, had an influence, various according to the milieu or the time
of the medieval author.

So, if Terence wasn't used as *exempla*, the medieval Latin probably should
be the same, or almost. The situation of the Latin wasn't the same than
today, in which Latin became truly a dead language, in spite of the
praiseworthy efforts of the partisans of living Latin
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_Latin#Living_Latin>.

--
Emanuelo Arbaro
Franca esperantisto, doktora studento pri protestanta teologio