On 12/23/14, Paul Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...Whose pronunciation
> are we to accept when such seemingly "simple" homographic pairs are
> pronounced differently in the anglophone realm? And, again, I assert
> that in respect to a conIAL, we should try to specify a standard
> pronunciation, even if we grudgingly acknowledge that not all adult
> speakers will always conform to the standard.

This is why Inlis represents a kind of artificial pan-English dialect.
There have been other attempts at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_English
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Theater_Standard

I almost wish I had followed one or both of these (they are quite
similar) for Inlis, but instead I modeled it on Bislama and Tok Pisin,
just enlarging the phoneme pool a bit, for example introducing the
ch/j distinction.

In Inlis most English phonemes (or technically diaphonemes) have a
specific mapping, but there are some alternative mappings used to
avoid homophones, and some mappings are conditioned on spelling.
Spelling also settles some dialect differences: when UK and US
disagree, we usually prefer whichever is closer to the spelling.
(UK/US spelling differences are generally irrelevant to importation.)
So dialect isn't a fatal problem inn my experience.

Steve