On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Wouldn't it? If most Cantonese speakers have learnt to speak Mandarin using
> Pin Yin this means that many litterate Chinese will know the way to write
> Chinese using Latin letters.

Careful here: As I pointed out previously the Chinese have already
done these experiments and found that *it's not possible* to replace
Chinese characters with a phonetic system.  There are just too many
homophones in that language for this proposal to work.

This can't be true pragmatically. There are homophonic hanzi but not semantic units. It's even possible to write pinyin without tones and you can still be understood.

  Learning
pinyin (or bopomofo) is like learning IPA: It'll help you use a
dictionary to expand your vocabulary but is no help at all in learning
to read or write those words you already know.  Which is why IMHO
Chinese is a dead end language and is not a useful reference point in
anything to do with creating an auxlang (unless you just looking for
examples of things *not* to do).  See my other post...
  Regards,
    Scott