Great question, thanks for posting.  No restrictions at our institution, but I'm curious if there are any pain experts who can comment on whether narcotics block nociception from hollow viscous stretch receptors?  Anecdotally over the years I have tried providing a range of analgesics but have not found them very effective for this type of pain.  Even a number of studies looking at morphine for appendicitis suggest that, while safe, it doesn't significantly change reported pain scores.  Anyone have insights into pain control from hollow viscous pain?

Garth Meckler, MD, MSHS
Division Head, PEM
BC Children's Hospital

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html