I've met a few African-Americans whose first names were formed similarly.
I don't think this system is entirely without precedence.  It's just the
systamaticity of it...and the use of it for LAST names that's got the weird
factor.  But like I said, I do that with one of my non-Earth human
cultures.  So, it's like Solomon said.

Adam