Pandunia has many fine aspects.

-----Original Message-----
From: International Auxiliary Languages [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Risto Kupsala
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: If China Would Promote Esperanto

25.01.2015, 00:37, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> Yes, but the point has been made many times, over and over, that there
> is probably no "least common denominator" phonology or morphology
> comfortable enough for all potential adult learners on earth which
> will be adequate to construct any usable conIAL. Even some of the
> strictly a priori ones may have issues. The matter is that with
> respect to adult learners, somebody, somewhere, somehow, is just going
> to have to exert some effort to deal with something unfamiliar and
> even uncomfortable. That is just the nature of reality in the cosmos.
> Period. End of argument.

Yes, somebody, somewhere and somehow. But who, where and how? That's something that language makers should think about. You can't make it easy for everybody, but you can make it easier for them.

The goal is to be easier and better than the most notable auxlang competitors, which include Esperanto and English, because the new challenger will be measured against them. It won't be measured against Hawaiian or Toki Pona, you know.

There are no absolute arguments. You should never stop thinking.

> One point is that a conIAL, E-o or whatever, will be taught to
> *children* who are much more "pliable" when it comes to learning
> languages. Yes, we who are adults in auxlang circles, all too often
> tend to think in terms of adults learners / users, but suppose a
> society such as the PRC would put a conIAL into the schools. Then the
> issue is much ameliorated.

Many languages are already taught in schools and the results are similar in every subject: some children get good grades and some get bad grades.
It is too simplistic to think that all Chinese children would be great at speaking Esperanto just because they learn it early. A lot depends on teaching methods and how many hours are spent on learning it.

>> I trust that the Chinese will consider other alternatives beside
>> Esperanto. In Pandunia they will find
>> - [certain characteristics]
>
> Yes, but what kind of traction does Pandunia have with respect to
> Esperanto?

Why? Has the committee already begun the selection process of the conIAL in the PRC?

Next Christmas' best sellers are not out yet. Anything is still possible.

--Risto